Buying a New Roof: A Complete Guide for Sheffield Homeowners
Think it’s time to buy a new roof? It’s a hefty investment and something you shouldn’t take lightly. You’ve got to think about the most effective materials, the look of your property, structural considerations, and how it will affect the rest of your home. If you are planning on buying a new roof in Sheffield, here’s everything you need to know.
What Does a New Roof Include?
Any quality roofing system has five components that, together, give an effective, durably roof for your home:
- Sheathing: the wooden boards that give framing to the roof system.
- Roof structure: the trusses and rafters that hold the sheathing.
- Roof covering: the underlay that safeguards the sheathing from rain and the elements.
- Flashing: the sheet material that prevents water from getting in.
- Drainage: the slope, shape, and layout that helps water drain away, including guttering.
Things to Consider When Buying a New Roof in Sheffield
As your trusted roofing company in Sheffield, we’ll make sure you get the very best roof for your house. But if you’re in the research phase and want to know more about buying a roof, here are some important things to consider.
There are a few options when it comes to the exterior material for your new roof.
- Asphalt shingles: these are the most common roofing material in the UK and come in a range of colours. They are relatively inexpensive and last for around 20 to 30 years.
- Clay tiles: another popular choice in the UK, clay tiles are durable, lasting up to 100 years with proper roof maintenance. They are, however, a more expensive option.
- Slate tiles: these are heavy-duty, lasting for around 100 years with proper maintenance. However, they are the most expensive type and can require additional support due to their weight.
The average roof in the UK costs about £5,000, but that can be significantly more, depending on the size of your home and the materials used.
It’s important to figure out a budget before you start shopping around. If money is tight, asphalt shingles are the most cost-effective option. But if you’re looking for something that will last for much longer and need almost no maintenance, you might want to invest more in clay or slate tiles.
Extent of Installation
Do you need an entirely new roof or just a partial replacement? If your entire roof is old and coming to the end of its life, a full new roof might be required. However, if your roof has suffered from damage, we might be able to carry out a partial replacement or repairs to help you save some money.
Talk to the Roof Experts in Sheffield
If you’re planning on installing a new roof in Sheffield, we can help. With years of experience and a team of qualified, experienced roofers, we’re the leading team for installing new roofs in the region.
We’ll come and take a look at your roof and let you know the cost of a replacement or whether repairs are possible. Call us today to arrange a free consultation: 0114 407 0142